Wednesday, June 3, 2009

CNN’s Jack Cafferty: Why does the GOP have such narrow appeal?

Yesterday on CNN, the curmudgeon that is Jack Cafferty had an excellent piece on the make-up of the GOP. According to a recent Gallup poll, 89% of the Republican Party is white (Caucasian). The other 11% is African American, Asian, Hispanic, Muslim, etc… 89% of the people that call themselves, identify with the Republican Party are WHITE. Wow! I knew they had a diversity problem, but come on.

In that same Gallup poll, the Democratic Party is 64% white and 36% non-white. This is a whole lot better than the GOP, and shows the broad appeal the Democratic Party platform has to everyday Americans. We are fast approaching the day when the United States will be a minority-majority nation (50% plus 1 non-white to white population). Many of us have started figuring out that we need work on our internal biases and prejudices so we can effectively function as a multicultural nation. The concept of multiculturalism is very disconcerting to a large number of people.

This would be wasted day if I didn't take dig at Liberty University and didn’t point out the, dare I say not so subtle, message Liberty University has effectively articulated by “not recognizing” the LU College Democrats. GOP – 89% white 11% non-white. Democratic Party – 64% white 36% non-white. I’m going to go out on a limb her and say that the racial look of all Christians worldwide (Protestants, Catholics, Lutherans, Methodist, Baptists, etc…) more closely resembles the Democratic Party than the GOP. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment